PFLASA works with LASA to help build a welcoming atmosphere and strives to be a source of school information for parents, students and teachers. Besides raising funds for classroom materials, professional development for teachers, books, educational and community events, and equipment and other resources that enhance our students’ education, we host multiple social events that make LASA a school with heart.
We support LASA classrooms, paying for equipment, textbooks, and materials. For example, in the past several years, we have purchased:
- Chromebooks, to help achieve a 2:1 student to device ratio
- Desktop computers to help ensure enough devices for the E-zine, Newspaper and Yearbook classes.
- Textbooks for Forensics and English I-IV
- AP Chemistry lab kits + online testing
- TI-89 graphing calculators for Calculus classes
- Software defined radio for Amateur Radio and Digital Engineering
- Octapad percussion pad for Theatre classes and productions
- Organic Chemistry lab materials
- Electric Hand Drills for Sci-Tech
- Cable management system for Computer Science room
- DVD for Physiology class
- Novels and Literature for English classes and Contemporary Fiction
- Rigid heddle reeds for creating looms for Art classes
- Numerous Hitchcock films for the Psychological Makeup of Hitchcock Characters elective
- Chinese/English dictionaries, DVDs, and supplementary class materials
- AP Macro/Micro Economics student worksheet manuals
- AP Biology Test Wizard and subscription to Nearpod software
- Coax cable for the Amateur Radio class
We help defray the costs of AP Testing. At LASA, most juniors and seniors take 4 or more AP tests per year. PFLASA helps ensure that all students, regardless of income, can afford to take these tests. In 2016, PFLASA helped to subsidize 2,100 AP tests.
We directly support our teachers, paying for professional development and classroom materials for teachers and staff. We also host a Welcome Back to School luncheon just prior to the school year, and provide dinner on LASA Showcase night for teachers and staff.
We reach out to the LASA community by distributing the weekly Lots of LASA newsletter, managing the LASA Facebook page, holding grade-level events for students, offering workshops for parents, offering scholarships for students, and more.
We reach out to the greater Austin community by supporting information sessions and LASA Showcase night for prospective students and their parents as well as hosting a forum for candidates running for the AISD Board of Trustees.
We care. We support many other outreach activities.
- Host a Welcome Back to School luncheon for teachers and staff.
- Provide hosts for the New Teacher Tour when teachers travel the city far and wide via school bus to learn about LASA students and parents.
- Organize a speaker series addressing issues pertinent to teens and parents, relating to high school.
- Assist students with class socials, typically held over the lunch hour.
- Assist the school with the LASA Showcase and provide dinner for teachers.
- Assist the school with incoming student choice sheet days.
- Host “Welcome to LASA” events for incoming parents
- Coffeehouse, LASA’s student springtime talent show for students, families, teachers, and alumni.
- Host Senior Salute, our end-of-the-year, off-campus event to send off the seniors in style.
- Assist PTSA with Project Graduation, an all-night party at the YMCA for seniors the night of graduation.
- Support community members, and aid in times of suffering.
- Organize volunteers.
Please volunteer and participate when you can. We look forward to meeting you, hearing your ideas, taking advantage of your talents, and working with you!
Jacob Oakes was a dear member of our community. Please consider contributing to The Jacob Oakes Memorial Fund.